I said at the outset of this Refresh & Reboot Program that this is NOT a diet. I am not asking you to count calories OR adhere to some strict way of eating or NOT eating. This program is for you to Refresh & Reboot your own healthy lifestyle. This program is YOUR program, no one else’s. I’m here to help you get back to what works best for you and your own body and lifestyle.
Creating change in your own lifestyle has to be lasting. For it to be lasting it has to be easy, inspiring and perfect for you. Therefore, the first thing we will do this week is to look at your personality, schedule and food preferences to form your meal plans.
Think about WHAT you enjoy eating. WHAT makes you feel energized and satisfied. WHAT foods will you NOT eat. HOW OFTEN do you like to eat? Do you eat breakfast? Are you a late night snacker? In order to form your own plan or change what might not be working for you, this week keep a FOOD JOURNAL. Either write it down the old fashioned way (pen and paper) or use one of the free Apps like MyNetDiary. Again, this is for YOU, so do whichever method works for YOU.
Regardless of whether you like to eat breakfast first thing in the morning, or maybe that doesn’t make you feel your best. Maybe a banana is all you need upon waking up. Maybe you like your largest meal at lunch and eat a light dinner. It’s all okay, as long as you are keeping track of what you are consuming and you are eating whole, natural foods. Here are the tips to plug in while planning your meals and snacks for each day:
1. Eat Protein with every meal and snack. Aim for 4 oz at your meals.
2. Eat Whole Foods. Following the 80/20 rule is sustainable but if you need to narrow that to get back on track, try that for the week.
3. Ditch the packaged, processed foods this week!
4. Make sure you eat green leafy vegetables and lots of vegetables EVERY day.
5. Make water your first choice. Drink half of your body weight in ounces EVERY day.
6. Make sure what you decide to eat as a treat is absolutely delicious and worth the calories!
7. Eat at home as much as possible. If eating out, PLAN ahead.
8. For the first week forego the alcohol. When you are back in lifestyle mode, make sure you limit the alcohol, especially any sugary drinks, as it will surely sabotage your progress and your healthy ways.
Will you have a perfect formula following these tips? Of course not! We are not looking for any perfection here. You are looking what is going to work for you and what will be flexible in your lifestyle.
As you take these steps into Week 2 and on into your lifestyle, things will happen. You will enjoy treats, you will eat too much out with friends, or let emotional eating take over. However, you just get back on the horse and have something healthy and in line with your healthy lifestyle at your next meal. That’s all you need to worry about.
Be honest with your food journal. If it crosses your lips it goes on the list. This is only for you (unless you want to share with me or another) to use as your own tool to see your habits, preferences, what works and doesn’t work for you, your body and lifestyle.
What’s next? Sample meals and snacks for inspiration and ideas!
Enjoy Your Day!