1. The Recommended Daily Amount of sugar for the average woman is 5 teaspoons. That’s it. No more.
2. The average US adult consumes 22.2 teaspoons of sugar each day. That adds up to an extra 355 calories. Those are empty calories, mind you. They are good for nothing, add no nutritional value and do nothing good for your body. I looked for a picture of the mound of sugar which represents how much sugar we eat on a yearly basis. I’ve seen that demonstration and have been aghast. Hopefully, you have seen those too and know what I mean.
I guess you have discovered my Fit Tip for this Friday is to look at the amount of sugar in your day and put a hold on it. Here are some of things I try to keep in mind while I try to keep a track of my own sweet tooth.
1. Eat regular meals with healthy amounts of protein, good carbs and good fat. You will not be hungry so won’t have the urge to snack. I am by nature a “snacker” so I have to keep this in mind and prepare a real meal BEFORE I start the snack routine.
2. Bring your own goodies or appetizers to to parties. Use sugar alternatives in your treats if you like. (Stevia, applesauce, bananas, or whatever substitutions you like.) I think it’s always best to actually know WHAT you are eating and can control what’s going in. If you bring it you know you have something good and healthy to enjoy.
3. Brush your teeth or chew a piece of gum. That minty taste signals to your brain that the meal is over. Also, I always hate to ruin that fresh taste once I’ve done that, and most things taste pretty awful right after you brush your teeth!
4.Drink LOTS of water. It makes you feel full and helps you flush out the junk. Sometimes, too, we think we are hungry when we are actually thirsty.
5. Do Enjoy treats and treat yourself. The worst thing you can do is to constantly deprive yourself of something. I try to make sure it’s worth the calories. For me, a piece of Key Lime Pie is ALWAYS worth the calories. I haven’t had a piece in quite some time . . .
Remember, the more sugar you eat the more your body will crave it. Haven’t you ever noticed that if you eat something sweet in the mornings as breakfast or snack you seem to crave something sweet all day? That’s just what sugar does, along with many other unhealthy things to your body!
Have you seen this? Taco Bell has a new burrito with beef, cheese AND Flaming Hot Fritos mixed in! How gross is that? Who would eat this? 500 Calories and 22 grams of fat in this little puppy. I’m thinking this should be outlawed.
Do you have any food pet peeves?
Any tips on keeping away from sugar?